So, this may seem like a random post to some, but oh well. Today after church, Alexis asked if we could play a game while McKenzie took a nap. I said that we needed to get something to eat first, and then 'we'll see'. You all know that phrase, the one you say, when 'it' (whatever it is) is most likely not going to happen...well, after lunch, Alexis wanted to play a game of go fish, and I told her that mommy was tired, and that I really needed to take a nap. My daughter, with out complaining, simply said, me too, and together we went to take a nap. It was only about 30 min. later (not long enough for me to find that one comfortable place) McKenzie started crying--I'm not sure she ever went back to sleep after church, but she was now letting me know that she was done. Alexis was still asleep, so I went to get McKenzie, we had some 'cuddle' time--which is really a 'crawl all over mommy' time as I tried with out success to get her to cuddle and go back to sleep. Finally giving up, we went to the kitchen to get her lunch. After her lunch, she went back to bed with out so much as a whisper. Alexis is still asleep, and when I went to check on her, I couldn't help but think how wonderfully blessed I am with the girls I have been given. They truly are so special, regardless of how much Alexis may try my patience at times, she really is so well behaved.
It was during these thoughts that I began to wonder why it is that it is so easy to loose my patience with her...my next thought was about my Heavenly Father and how many times He could have lost His patience with me, but never has.
This must be one of the biggest lessons that we are learning as parents: unconditional love in it's truest form has unconditional patience...that yelleth not, loosesth not it's temper, etc. and is softly teaching and leading a spirit that belongs to our Heavenly Father. CHARITY, even--especially--for our children (not the 'correct' wording, but you all know what I mean, and if you don't, you either don't have children yet, or they are still too young :).
Charity is the pure love of Christ and as we learn this through the help of our children we bring ourselves closer to our Heavenly Father and in turn, HE is teaching and leading us back to Him.
So, that being said, my goal this week is to have more patience and understanding for my 4-year-old...understand that there are things that she will do that are ideal TEACHING moments, take advantage of these moments, and not let them pass by with upset/anger.
I will also study the topic of Charity and how it relates to parenting and family.
Feel free to join me as you reflect on your parenting and most likely are nodding your head and smiling, because you know exactly what I am talking about, and if you don't have children yet, set a goal to show more charity to your spouse.
7 years ago
2 comments:
Thanks so much for your words of wisdom! Very often I find myself getting frustrated with my girls for not reason other then the fact that they want to play a game with me and I'm busy. I need to learn that some things can wait because my kids won't be young forever!
I was thinking along those same lines as I reflected on Debbie's advice that she and Robert turn to the scriptures to learn how to raise even their trying toddlers. Because what she was saying is that they try to think about how Heavenly Father would raise THEIR toddlers -- HIS toddlers -- and then act and react accordingly. GREAT GOAL -- Thanks for sharing. I know I certainly need to be better about having patience for my little mess-making, high-pitched squealing, try-my-patience-on-purpose communicating toddlers.
Post a Comment