We were fortunate to be able to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with both Aaron's and my family. We spent Thanksgiving day in Meridian at my brother's house. He was a wonderful host and I got to try turkey from a turkey fryer...very good flavor and moist.
Aaron and I spent our Friday morning anxiously awaiting the opening of Lowe's so we could catch a killer deal on a table saw and shop vac to assist us in finishing up our basement project. No, we aren't to a finishing point yet, but hopefully with in the next year we will be busy using our new toy to frame our basement, with finishing not too far behind.
After we returned from shopping it was a mad rush to get children awake and ready to go to Caldwell to start cooking our own turkey at Aaron's brother's house. Aaron and I attempted and succeeded at cooking an apple brine turkey...VERY good flavor and very good texture. We got the turkey from my dad, if you remember, who raised turkeys about five years ago. the first few turkeys we cooked from this were dry, so last year Aaron and I attempted to increase flavor and moisture by brining in a sugar/salt water brine. It worked O.K. but we both decided that it needed more brining time. This year we found a recipe for a apple juice brine that also had fresh garlic and salt. 10 hrs. later we were ready to put our bird in the oven. At this point I turned it all over to Aaron and he did a terrific job and about 3.5 hours later we had an EXCELLENT turkey to go along with a wonderful dinner.
Friday evening we joined the rest of the Marshall's and experienced the Boise Botanical gardens--Winter Garden Aglow. It was beautiful to see all their lights and how they decorated every aspect of the garden. I was saddened to learn that we missed the train set, the reindeer, and Santa by a little over one week. They were all scheduled to start in December, there's always next year.
We loved getting to spend time with both of our families. Our children LOVED playing with cousins and they also LOVE their new crochet bags from their aunt, McKenzie insists on taking it everywhere she goes, and reluctantly gives it up at night with a promise that it will return in the morning.
Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete with out recognizing all the blessing in my life that I am MOST greatful for:
First and foremost I am thankful for Aaron. My life would not be the same with out him. He calms me down when I get overwhelmed or upset, and he brightens my days that would otherwise have been dark and dreary. He know how to listen, and when hugs are not only needed, but necessary. He is a wonderful father. Our children love him so dearly and miss him every time he is away. He is someone I can confide in and someone I am not afraid to make mistakes infront of, because I know he will never laugh (unless I am also laughing). He has a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and has faith when mine is lacking. He knows not only who he is, but also what he is to become and strives for that daily. He motivates me to be better and reminds me that we are getting better together.
I am thankful for my children who teach me daily what it is to become like a child and be teachable in all things. I could not go through my days without their smiles and laughter that fill my home. I love the love that they have for each other and the patience they have for me.
I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, without which I would be completly lost. It anchors me in today's world, it gives me strength to keep trying, even when I have made so many mistakes, and gives me hope in the future. I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who blesses me with everything I need even when I am not doing everything right, and loves me unconditionally.
Happy Thanksgiving!
7 years ago
2 comments:
Hi Monique! It is great to see an update from you. I'm so glad you are all well. Elliott and Aubrey sound like they're right at the same "helpful" stage, especially with the dishwasher :). I hope you guys have a great Christmas and New Year!
Amen, Sister! And I am so thankful for YOU!
Post a Comment