CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

LOAN CLOSED

In today's economy, some of your first thoughts after reading this title might be foreclosure, but no worries, this is not a place of concern for us. BUT...

It's official--my student loans are completely paid off!

Aaron and I received our tax refund the first part of February (yes, I had my taxes done in January) and have debated back and forth over what to do with it before and after it was deposited. Two Days ago, we decided it was time to pay off my loans and delay the other purchases we were considering.

This wasn't the easiest decision, mostly because we had been planning on new living room furniture and other household luxuries. If you have visited and seen our current living room furniture, you would understand why. It is furniture you would normally see in a college setting, I was hopping for something a bit more sophisticated that would help us feel like we have moved one step farther away from being poor college students, but it is still furniture that you can sit on, even if it isn't the best. We also don't spend a lot of time in our living room, except when we have visitors, so after another long discussion with both of us weighing the pros and cons to each situation...

My student loans won the debate (after a final decision was made I look back and wonder if it really ever was an debate or if I knew all along what we would do, I was just delaying the process). It feels so good to log on to my student loan payment pages and see the words--LOAN CLOSED!

Aaron's loans would be next on our list, but we have decided to let those continue on with the min. monthly payment for the next few years in anticipation of cancellation because of his teaching location and repayment by the military for his years of service.

We are one step closer to being debt free, and very excited.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Thats great that your student loans are done! Good job

Mary said...

That's exciting! We just paid of some of mine and it definately is a great feeling. And I totally know how you feel about new living room furniture...oh well. One of these days!

Melinda said...

AWESOME!!!!! That's a relief for BOTH of us! ;-D Thanks! And thanks for your comments on my blog! I love you!

amaree said...

Yey! I can't wait to get mine paid off. With Aaron's new jobg, we're hoping we can pay it off within a year or so. The furniture will come, right? We live off of mostly inherited furniture, ourselves...

Anyway, we love ya'll!

CraftyTeresa said...

Congratulations! One weight off of the financial mind!

As for furniture... don't worry, it will come someday.
It took me 11 years to get my very own-bought it myself from a furniture store-couch.
The kids know that it's "my couch" and no one gets to eat on it!
Now we just need to get Ross a new chair and get rid of the chair we got from some neighbors when we were newlyweds that gets sawdust on the floor when you sit on it!
and a t.v. (that's not mom and dad's old one), and more bookshelves, and new carpet... :)